Nurse Practitioner FAQ
Please review the requirements in Policy R02: Nurse Practitioner Requirements
- Can NP’s prescribe Buprenorphine? Click here
- Does RNANT/NU place restrictions on what NP’s can prescribe? Click here
- If I am registered as an NP, can I work as an RN? Click here
- Can I have an independent practice? Click here
- Does RNANT/NU place restrictions on NPs prescribing medical cannabis? Click here
- What constitutes NP hours? Click here
Frequently asked questions about registration and renewal
Do I need to be registered in the NWT/NU if I am providing telemedicine/Telehealth from another province?
Yes, you need to be registered.
When does my registration expire?
All registrations are in effect from January 1 – December 31 of each year.
How long is the processing time?
Renewals and Initial applications will be processed within 15 business days once all documents are received. If there is missing information or complications with your renewal this may delay the process.
Can my employer renew my registration on my behalf?
No. All applications must be submitted online by the applicant.
What happens if I don’t renew during the renewal period
- Renewals processed after December 14th will be subject to a $100 + GST late fee.
- Applications received after December 31 will need to reinstate their registration. Click here for the application and information on reinstatement.
What is included in the fee?
- Fee’s include GST, CNPS, & NP Fee
I need a copy of my receipt and registration certificate, is that available?
The receipt and registration are available in your portal to email or print.
IMPORTANT: The copy of your registration receipt is only available until the next renewal period. Remember to print and save copies of your receipt and registration certificate. RNANT/NU will not be able to provide this information.
Will I be notified when my Renewal/Initial Application has been completed?
Yes, you will receive an email. You can also check your status in the online portal for updates.
How many practice hours do I need?
- RN: 1125 in 5 years
- NP: 1125 in 4 years
What happens if I miss filling out a section?
This could delay the processing of your application.
Why do you need my email address?
As our renewal process is now online you will need to have an email address to access the system. Please ensure this is an email that you check on a regular basis. It is not recommended to use your work email.
What if I still have questions?