Internationally Educated Nurses

The Registered Nurses Association of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut (RNANT/NU) does not initially register Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN).  Prior to applying to RNANT/NU, the applicant must obtain registration/licensure in another Canadian jurisdiction.

IEN applicants must meet the RNANT/NU criteria for registration including:

  • proof of identity
  • NP practice in another Canadian jurisdiction for a minimum of 1125 hours in the past 4 years
  • evidence of fluency in English
  • provision of satisfactory references
  • successful completion of the NCLEX-RN examination

An IEN who has obtained registration/licensure registration in a southern jurisdiction and has completed an approved Canadian IEN RN bridge-in program that included a supervised clinical practicum and laboratory skills, may meet the requirements for registration similar to the graduate nurse requirements by providing a clinical instructor reference (Form C – Instructor Reference Form) and program transcripts.

Please see the National Nursing Assessment Services (NNAS) website for details.

Scroll to Top