NP Initial Application
When registering in the online portal you will need to first register as an RN then complete the NP application. The fee’s are split between these two applications. You must complete both portions in order to be registered as an NP.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the members responsibility to keep RNANT/NU updated on changes to their name, email, phone or address.
The NP Initial Registration Application is for:
- all nurse practitioners who are currently registered elsewhere in Canada and who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time,
- individuals who are registered as registered nurses with the RNANT/NU and who wish to register as an NP for the first time, and
- graduates of a Canadian NP program who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time.
Please note: It is a registration violation to be employed in the NT and/or NU as a registered nurse or nurse practitioner without a valid license to practice in the NT and/or NU. This includes any orientation to an individual’s role as an RN or NP, as well as the completion of any employer requirements.
All forms are now in fillable PDF documents.
A $65.63 processing fee is charged to an applicant’s credit card upon submission of application. This payment is required to begin processing an application. Other documents (e.g., verification letters, references, etc.) are added to an applicant’s file as they are received at the office. When all required documents are received, the Registrar reviews the entire application for registration eligibility and approval.
Once an application is approved by the Registrar, the applicant is contacted by phone or email. Approved applications are valid for six months from the date the application is submitted, and the processing fee taken. After six months, the applicant is required to submit a new application.
Please review the R02 Nurse Practitioner Requirements Registration Policy prior to starting your application.
If you have any questions regarding the NP Registration Application Process, please contact the Registration Coordinator.
To apply for an initial registration as an NP with the RNANT/NU for the 2019 Membership Year, the following items are required:
- Apply online through the Applicant Portal
- Identification – A copy of valid government (federal or territorial) issued photo ID. The ID must include photo, signature, expiry date, and in colour. (Fax is not accepted for Photo ID’s).
- Verification Request from your original jurisdiction (where you wrote your entry-to-practice exam) and all jurisdictions in which you are currently or formerly registered to be sent directly to RNANT/NU.
- Transcript Request Form (a requirement for new graduates only, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate)
- Recommendation from Graduate Nurse (a requirement for new graduates).
- Evidence of successfully passing an entry-to-practice exam accepted by the RNANT/NU (this requirement generally applies to new graduates only).
- Evidence of successful completion of one of the following prescribing controlled drugs and substances courses as indicated in the RNANT/NU Policy R2 Nurse Practitioner Requirements under section 2(g). If the course was not completed as part of your NP program (on your official transcript), a copy of the certificate or the official transcript which shows course completion is required.
- Information Sharing Consent Form (this form is used to grant permission to give updates on an applicant’s registration status to their NT and/or NU employer).
Employer Reference: Form A1 Employer Reference Form is required from two of your most recent employers. Form A2 Verification of Hours Form is required from all of your employers in the preceding five years. If you were employed by only one employer for the last five years or more, we only require a reference from that one employer. Please ensure you have worked a minimum of 300 hours with the employer you have requested provide you a reference.
- Colleague Reference: If you have less than five years work experience as an RN and have had only one employer, please have Form B Colleague Reference Form submitted in addition to your employer reference form.
If you have only been self-employed as an RN, please have two 2019 Form B Colleague Reference Form submitted.
New Graduate: New graduate applicants must have Form C Instructor Reference Form submitted. This form is to be completed and submitted by a nursing faculty member from the applicant’s school of nursing.
- Review Policy R02: Nurse Practitioner Requirements