NP Initial Application

The NP Initial Registration Application is for:

  • all nurse practitioners who are currently registered elsewhere in Canada and who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time,
  • individuals who are registered as registered nurses with the RNANT/NU and who wish to register as an NP for the first time, and
  • graduates of a Canadian NP program who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time.

Please note: It is a registration violation to be employed in the NT and/or NU as a registered nurse or nurse practitioner without a valid license to practice in the NT and/or NU. This includes any orientation to an individual's role as an RN or NP, as well as the completion of any employer requirements.

A $65.63 processing fee is charged to an applicant's credit card upon receipt of the payment authorization form. This payment authorization form is required to begin processing an application. Other documents (e.g., verification letters, references, etc.) are added to an applicant's file as they are received at the office. When all required documents are received, the Registrar reviews the entire application for registration eligibility and approval. 

Once an application is approved by the Registrar, the applicant is contacted by phone or email. Approved applications are valid for six months from the date the application is submitted and the processing fee taken. After six months, the applicant is required to submit a new application.

If you have any questions regarding the NP Registration Application Process, please contact the Registration Coordinator.


To apply for an initial registration as an NP with the RNANT/NU for the 2018 Membership Year, the following items are required: 

1. 2018 Payment Authorization Form for all Transactions

2. 2018 Annual Registration Form NP

3. 2018 Initial Application NP

4. Identification -  A copy of valid government (federal or territorial) issued photo ID. The ID must include photo, signature, and expiry date.

5. Verification of Registration Request from your original jurisdiction (where you wrote your entry-to-practice exam) and all jurisdictions in which you are currently or formerly registered.

6. 2018 Transcript Request Form (a requirement for new graduates only, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate)

7. Verification of Education and/or Graduation (a requirement for new graduates outside of the NT/NU, if not previously submitted for a temporary certificate). This verification is submitted directly to the RNANT/NU from the licensing body of the jurisdiction where an applicant completed their education program.

8. Evidence of successfully passing an entry-to-practice exam accepted by the RNANT/NU (this requirement generally applies to new graduates only).

9.  Evidence of successful completion of one of the following prescribing controlled drugs and substances courses as indicated in the RNANT/NU Policy R2 Nurse Practitioner Requirements under section 2(g). If the course was not completed as part of your NP program (on your official transcript), a copy of the ceritificate or the official transcript which shows course completion is required.

10.  References:

Employer Reference: Two Form A - Employer Reference Forms are required, one from each of your two most recent NP employers in the past five years. If you were employed as an NP by only one employer for the last 5 years or more, we only require a reference from that one employer. If you have been employed as an NP with only one employer for less than five years, we require an employer reference from that NP employer and an employer reference from your most recent RN employer. Please ensure you have worked a minimum of 300 NP (or RN) hours with the employer you have requested provide you a reference.

Character Reference: If you have less than five years work experience as an NP and have had only one employer, and have little or no work experience as an RN, please have Form B - Colleague Reference Form submitted in addition to your employer reference form.

Character Reference: If you have only been self-employed as an NP, and have little or no work experience as an RN, please have two Form B - Colleague Reference Forms ubmitted.

New Graduate: New graduate applicants must have a Form C - Instructor Reference Form submitted. This form is to be completed and submitted by a nursing faculty member from the applicant's school of nursing. New graduates also must have Form A - Employer Reference Form submitted from their most recent employer. 

11. 2018 Information Sharing Consent Form (this form is optional and is used to grant permission to give updates on an applicant's registration status to their NT and/or NU employer)


I am looking for…


Contact Us

Office Hours
Monday – Friday  8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday & Sunday  Closed

PO Box 2757
Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2R1
Phone: 867-873-2745
Fax: 867-873-2336

Office Location
3rd Floor, 4921 49 Street
Yellowknife, NT
X1A 2N9

Contact form