RN Initial Application
PLEASE NOTE: It is the members responsibility to keep RNANT/NU updated on changes to their name, email, phone or address.
YOU WILL NEED VERIFICATION FROM ALL JURISDICTIONS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN REGISTERED CURRENTLY AND PREVIOUSLY. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE 6-12 WEEKS DEPENDING ON THE JURISDICTION AND AFFECT THE PROCESSING TIME TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION.
The RN Initial Registration Application is for:
- all registered nurses who are currently registered elsewhere in Canada and who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time, and
- Canadian nurse graduates who wish to register with the RNANT/NU for the first time.
Please note: It is a registration violation to be employed in the NT and/or NU as a registered nurse without a valid registration to practice in the NT and/or NU. This includes any orientation to an individual’s role as an RN, as well as the completion of any employer requirements.
A $65.63 processing fee is charged to an applicant’s credit card when starting the registration process online. Other documents (e.g., verification letters, references, etc.) are added to an applicant’s file as they are received at the office. Please note that employer references and colleague references must be sent by the employer/colleague directly to RNANT/NU.
References received from the applicant are not valid.
When all required documents are received, the Registrar reviews the application for registration eligibility and approval. This process can take up to 10 business days. Once approved you will receive an email from RNANT/NU and you can print your registration card and receipt from your members portal.
The expectation is that once approved the applicant completes their application by completing the registration fee section.
Approved applications are valid for six months. After six months, the applicant is required to submit a new application and documents.
If you have any questions regarding the RN Initial Registration Application process, please contact the Registration Coordinator at email@example.com
Please review the R01 Registered Nurse Requirements Registration Policy prior to starting your application.
To apply for an initial registration as an RN with the RNANT/NU for the 2020 Membership Year, the following items are required:
- Complete the RN Initial Registration Application process online.
- Identification – A copy of valid government (federal or territorial) issued photo ID. The ID must include photo, signature, and expiry date. Please scan both sides in color and email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Fax is not accepted for Photo ID’s)
- Verification of registration request from your original jurisdiction (where you wrote your entry-to-practice exam) and all jurisdictions in which you are currently or formerly registered.
- Evidence of successfully passing an entry-to-practice exam accepted by the RNANT/NU (this applies to new graduates only).
- Recommendation from Graduate Nurse (a requirement for new graduates).
Employer Reference: Form A1 Employer Reference and Form A2 Verification of Hours are both required for each employer. Two employer references are required, one from each of your two most recent employers in the past five years.
If you were employed by only one employer for the last five years or more, we only require a reference from one employer.
Please ensure you have worked a minimum of 300 hours with the employer(s).
Colleague Reference: If you have less than five years work experience as an RN and have had only one employer, please have Form B Colleague Reference Form submitted in addition to your employer reference form.
If you have only been self-employed as an RN, please have two Form B Colleague Reference Form submitted.
New Graduate: New graduate applicants must have Form C Instructor Reference Form submitted.
Information Sharing Consent Form (this form is used to grant permission to give updates on an applicant’s registration status to their NT and/or NU employer).
- New Graduates: New graduate applicants must provide their transcripts. Transcript Request Form