Celebrating the dedication, initiative and distinction of nurses who are helping to improve the health of First Nations and Inuit in Canada.
About the award
The award will be presented to 3 exceptional nurses who provide care to First Nations or Inuit clients. Nominees will have demonstrated that they are committed to excellence in nursing practice by:
- consistently using sound judgment at all times when delivering nursing services to individuals, organizations and communities;
- maintaining professionalism in their treatment of clients and their approach to leadership
- embracing diversity and inclusion in supporting culturally appropriate environment
The Award of Excellence in Nursing will be presented to the 3 recipients during National Nursing Week. A virtual Ceremony will be held on Monday, May 10, 2021. Each recipient of the award will receive a framed certificate, as well as a gift to commemorate this special occasion.
Who is eligible
The award is open to all registered nurses, nurse practitioners and registered or licensed practical nurses who:
- have worked the equivalent of 2 years fulltime in a First Nations or Inuit community
- are currently employed by ISC, a First Nations employer or are working in an Inuit community
- work as frontline nurses
Completed nomination packages with supporting materials must be received either by mail, fax or email by: Friday, February 26, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. EST and sent to :
NOTE: if mailed, ensure the package is date stamped by February 26, 2021.
2021 Annual Award of Excellence in Nursing
Indigenous Services Canada
Address locator 1916B, room 1619B
Jeanne Mance Building at Tunney’s Pasture
200 Eglantine Driveway
Ottawa ON K1A 0K9
All nominators and nominees will be notified in April 2021 of the results. We wish to thank everyone involved in the nomination process for taking the time to nominate an outstanding nurse providing direct front-line care in a First Nations or Inuit community.
More information including how to make a nomination available here